SOURCE: Sandos Hotels & Resorts
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa Transform to Protect the Environment
RIVIERA MAYA, MEXICO–(Marketwire – September 1, 2010) – Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa (www.Sandos.com) continues to transform into the leading environmentally-friendly property on the Riviera Maya, Mexico, through the implementation of conservation and preservation programs including activities aimed at raising awareness and highlighting the natural beauty of the region.
“At Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa, our conservation program goes beyond environmentally-friendly activities,” said Jacques DePaep, director of sales and marketing for Sandos Hotels & Resorts. “We’re taking every opportunity to clearly describe exactly how we’re protecting our natural resources in order to educate guests and other industry personnel, as well as distinguish ourselves from other properties,” he added.
Recognizing its responsibility to sustain the region, Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa currently carries out the following preservation programs:
- Reducing Carbon footprint
- Implementation of an electricity savings program
- Launch of a water conservation program
- Recycling and separating trash
- Use of biodegradable bottles throughout the resort
- Elaboration of compost
- Protecting and reproducing indigenous plants
- Using recycled paper for all printed material
- Improving the flow of the fresh water system
- Wildlife conservation
- Eco-educational activities including an eco tour, snorkel tour, romantic canoe ride and eco workshops in the Kids Club
In August, the resort began upgrading 128 of their total room units to create ecological rooms that reduce the CO2 emission by 75%. The scope of the room improvements, set to be completed by Nov. 15, 2010, will include:
- Ultra efficient air conditioning systems with low electrical consumption
- Solar system to heat water to avoid the use of gas
- Internal lighting system with LED
- Furniture made from certified wood
- Efficient recycling system of waste water
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa was originally built with respect to its surrounding eco-systems in order to preserve the property’s pristine nature and wildlife. The resort is the only property on the Riviera Maya with 16 cenotes. Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa has removed sediment from the natural cenotes to allow the fresh water system to flow better. Better water flow allows nutrients to flow freely to the mangroves and out into the ocean to feed the coral reefs.
For more information about Sandos Hotels & Resorts, visit http://www.Sandos.com.
Telephone: (516) 594-4100