SOURCE: Fairmont Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh’s Newest Luxury Hotel Recognized as City’s Only LEED-Certified Hotel
PITTSBURGH, PA–(Marketwire – September 20, 2010) – The Fairmont Pittsburgh hotel is pleased to announce that it has received a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED™) certification at the Gold level from the United States Green Building Council (USGBC).
“We are proud to continue Fairmont Hotels & Resorts’ tradition of operational sustainability and responsible tourism here at the Pittsburgh location,” states general manager Leonard S. Czarnecki. “In fact, Fairmont Pittsburgh is the first LEED-certified project for Fairmont, and we are looking forward to growing our reputation as a responsible member of this community.”
To achieve Gold-level LEED certification, this luxury Pittsburgh hotel had to meet the USGBC’s strict sustainable design and construction guidelines. Some of the ways the hotel achieved and will maintain this certification include:
- Recycled Construction Waste: Approximately 99% of waste created in the construction of this Pittsburgh hotel was diverted from landfills.
- Energy Savings: By adopting Energy Star rated appliances and innovative lighting, the hotel will drastically reduce its energy usage and overall carbon footprint.
- Water Use Reduction: Water conserving fixtures, such as low-flow toilets and aerators, will help the hotel save about 930,000 gallons of water annually.
- Improved Indoor Air Quality: Building materials, such as low- and no-VOC paints and carpets, and dedicated ventilation units that supply guestrooms with 100% outside air, were chosen to optimize indoor air quality.
- Green Materials: Building materials and furnishings were made from “green” or recycled materials. Many came from the Pittsburgh area, which helped reduce greenhouse gas emissions from transportation and supported the local economy.
- Green Operations: Sustainable dining, a hotel-wide recycling program and green housekeeping products are part of this Pittsburgh hotel’s operations plan.
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is recognized for its commitment to responsible tourism and its industry-leading Green Partnership program, which focuses on waste management, sustainability, and energy and water conservation at Fairmont properties.
For more information about this Pittsburgh luxury hotel, visit www.fairmont.com/pittsburgh.
ABOUT FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS
With over 60 distinctive hotels, including the iconic Fairmont San Francisco and Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai, and more in development, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is a global hospitality brand known for its warm and engaging service and culturally rich experiences. Located in coveted worldwide destinations, its unrivalled collection of classic hotels imbue a sense of heritage, sophistication, and social importance, and are often considered destinations in and of themselves. Fairmont is also committed to responsible tourism and is an industry leader in sustainable hotel management with its award-winning Green Partnership program. Fairmont is owned by FRHI Holdings Limited, a leading global hotel company with 95 hotels under the Fairmont, Raffles, and Swissôtel brands. The company also manages Fairmont and Raffles branded residences, estates and luxury private residence club properties. For more information or reservations, please call 1-800-441-1414 or visit www.fairmont.com.