PETERBOROUGH, UNITED KINGDOM–(Marketwire – Aug. 4, 2010) – Thomas Cook (LSE:TCG) Airlines has become the only airline to get the holidays started early with an extra special and unique welcome for families this summer as they check in for and board their flights at Manchester and Gatwick airports. A team of trained performers – the ‘Thomas Cook Airlines Squad’ – will entertain holidaymakers thus relieving the stress for parents of keeping the kids happy before they board their flight.
Running every day from 6am to midday until 3rd September, the unique concept will see Thomas Cook travellers amused and entertained with polished performances including songs, magic tricks and illusions. The squad will measure the children’s fun factors with their ‘Funometre’ ensuring all children travelling with the airline are having a good time. The Squad is also trained to assist airline staff by providing customer service support, helping with queue management and providing destination information.
Ian Derbyshire, Chief Executive Officer at Thomas Cook UK & Ireland, said: “Our airport entertainment is a completely unique concept that isn’t offered by any other airline. We want every element of our customers’ holidays to be enjoyable and stress-free, so with the help of our performers, we can ensure that parents can focus on getting through the airport and on to their flights as easily as possible.”
The Thomas Cook Airlines Squad concept has been developed by creative agency, The Business.
Tips on Travelling with Children
Thomas Cook Airlines’ Cabin Crew has come up with the following tips to help families who will be flying this summer:
- When taking off and landing, give your baby a bottle or a dummy as this will help stop their ears from popping.
- Your child will get bored in their seat, so take a walk with them to the galley area where you can stretch your legs and relax with your child away from your seats.
- Be prepared if you’re travelling on a night flight. Some parents think that if they book a night flight, then their child will sleep, but this often isn’t the case as the child is not in their usual environment.
- Take a small blanket in case your child gets cold, as some flights don’t provide them for short haul flights.
- Dress your baby in clothes that are easy to get on and off for nappy changing.
- Consider getting a baby sling for your journey. That way you can carry your baby and have two hands free to carry luggage.
- Don’t be afraid to ask cabin crew for help – that’s what they’re there for.
- Pack your child’s favourite snacks so that you have food to hand if they want something to eat quickly.
- If your child is having an inflight meal, be prepared with alternatives in case they don’t like what they’re given.
- Ask cabin crew to heat baby milk well in advance of when you need it so that you have it ready for when the baby wants it.
- Crayola’s Colour Wonder paper pad and markers are a great way to keep kids entertained. The pens only work on the special paper pad so you don’t have to worry about your child marking the seats or the walls of the aircraft.
- Get your children more excited about their holiday by using the inflight magazine, which always has a map in it, to show them where they’re flying to and the route the aircraft will take.
- Kids love presents, so wrap up lots of small surprises for them that you can give to your child throughout the flight to keep them entertained. This will keep them occupied and will stop them playing up.
- Bring toys out one by one so that you can keep children entertained with each toy individually.
Thomas Cook Airlines offers flights to more than 50 holiday destinations worldwide from Gatwick and Manchester airports, including the Canary Islands, Turkey, Spain, Bulgaria, Cuba, Greece, Mexico, Tunisia, Portugal, Madeira, Egypt, Balearic Islands, USA, Cyprus, Jamaica, Malta, Italy and the Dominican Republic.
About Thomas Cook UK & Ireland:
Thomas Cook UK & Ireland is the second largest leisure travel group in the UK with around 19,000 employees.
The company has a network of more than 800 high street stores, leading websites, and some of the world’s favourite travel brands with all inclusive holidays on offer to suit all budgets.
Thomas Cook UK & Ireland is part of Thomas Cook Group plc. For more information please visit http://www.thomascook.com.