SOURCE: Cheapflights Canada
In Honour of Canada Day, Find Out Why Canadians Are Proud Travellers
TORONTO–(Marketwire – June 29, 2010) – To mark this year’s Canada Day, Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, has put together a fun list of the Top Perks of being a Canadian Traveller. Whether celebrating July 1st in Canada or abroad, Canadians have a lot to be proud of. It’s a fact that Canadians are known for being polite, which goes a long way when travelling. However that’s just one of the many attributes Canadians possess that makes us good travellers and welcomed visitors.
“Canadians love to travel and the world loves to host them. And with the strong Canadian dollar this year — a 12 per cent gain on the US dollar, 23 per cent on the British pound and 27 per cent on the Euro over last year — the US and Europe should be prepared to see a lot more Canadians this summer,” says Oonagh Shiel, content editor at Cheapflights Canada. “Cheapflights entered the Canadian market in 2007 and the response to the site has been phenomenal and continues to grow. We salute Canadians and hope they enjoy our fun list on the Top Perks of Being a Canadian Traveller. Happy Canada Day.”
Here are Cheapflights.ca’s Top Perks of Being a Canadian Traveller:
- Canadians are polite: We can benefit from the goodwill that generations of well-mannered Canadian travellers have built up around the world. We’ve heard that some travellers from a country to the south will sew a Maple Leaf decal on their backpacks in an attempt to harness that goodwill. We call such travellers Pretend Canadians.
- Canadians know good beer: Canada measures the per cent alcohol by volume, not by weight, so when we get to Europe or the US, we can sample all their fine brews without ending up on the floor.
- Our Canadian dollar is strong: The soaring loonie has made our travels more affordable than last year. For $100, Canadians this year get $97 US, £64 or EUR 78. Last July 1st, it was $86 US, £52 or EUR 61. That’s a 12 per cent gain on the US dollar, 23 per cent on the British pound and 27 per cent on the Euro.
- Visa Free Travel with Canadian Passport: With our Canadian passport (held by 70 per cent of the population — demonstrating our love for travel) we don’t need visas to travel to about 155 countries including the US, the EU, parts of Africa and South America and South Pacific.
- Canada has great air service: Canada is well served by domestic and international airlines and new air services are being added all the time recognizing the value of the Canadian market. Now there are new air services to Brussels from Montreal, Tokyo from Calgary, Barcelona, Athens, San Diego and Portland, Oregon, from Toronto (by Air Canada); Taipei, from Toronto (EVA Air); Samana, Dominican Republic, from Toronto (WestJet); Frankfurt from Edmonton (Air Transat) to name just a few. Virgin America is now operating in Canada too (Toronto to Los Angeles and San Francisco).
- We have our own travel game: We can fill endless hours on the road playing Find the Canadian. Pickup any celebrity gossip magazine and the game is on. William Shatner? Bryan Adams? Ryan Reynolds? Michael J. Fox? Kim Cattrall? Pamela Anderson? American? No. All Canadian.
To view the complete list with more Perks of Being A Canadian Traveller, please visit www.cheapflights.ca/travel-tips/top-perks-of-being-a-canadian-traveller/. Have something to add to the list? Tell Cheapflights about it by filling in the feedback form at www.cheapflights.ca/help/contact-us/.
About Cheapflights Media
The trusted partner in flights, Cheapflights Media is a global Internet media network that has been delivering great deals since 1996. Headquartered in London with offices in Boston and Toronto, Cheapflights Media serves advertisers and consumers through its vast portfolio of websites and services. Packed with travel guides, tips and the latest news and information, the Cheapflights sites are online shopping comparison engines that make it easy for consumers in local markets to research, compare and save on domestic and international trips. With brand-name deals on airline tickets from more than 250 partners and 600 airlines and a team of travel experts hand picking the best offerings, Cheapflights offers visitors a mix of deals they can’t find anywhere else. There are currently Cheapflights-branded sites for the U.K., U.S., Canada, Germany, Australia and New Zealand, France, Italy and Spain. For more information visit www.cheapflights.ca
Tel: +1 416-926-1967
Mobile: +1 416-788-4573
E-mail: Email Contact