SOURCE: Cheapflights Canada
Countdown to 2011 at One of These Celebrations Around the World
TORONTO–(Marketwire – December 8, 2010) – As Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, prepares to say good bye to 2010 and welcome 2011, our editors put together a list of their Top 10 New Year’s Eve Destinations for those looking for an international experience. So take your appetite for travel and head to one of these happening New Year’s Eve celebrations around the globe and kick off 2011 in style.
Here are five destinations on five different continents to make the list:
- New York City — The traditional American New Year’s Eve extravaganza hails from Times Square in New York. Since 1907, the Ball Drop has rallied viewers both in person and on television to gaze up into the sky and watch the glittery (six-ton, 12-foot) sphere float toward the earth. A ton of confetti comes along with it. This year for the first time ever, Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum will be open for the public during the New Year’s Eve party and the New York Philharmonic will perform that evening. Search and compare cheap flights to New York City.
- Rio de Janeiro — Partying is Rio’s specialty, but, this year, New Year’s Eve takes on a special meaning. Second only to Carnival, New Year’s Eve (or Reveillion) will be an unforgettable bash due to the unveiling of the 2016 Olympic Games Rio de Janeiro logo, which will be revealed at the Copacabana celebration. Eleven barges with 1,200 fireworks each, 40 sound towers, 30 police towers, four screens and four stages will light up Copacabana Beach and give travellers and party-goers a satisfying start to the New Year. Search and compare cheap flights to Rio de Janeiro.
- Paris — Say bonne année in Paris this year as the Champs-Elysées goes from fashion to fireworks. It’s the best viewing point in the city of an enormous public display of fireworks (not to mention a great view of the Eiffel Tower). For an upscale evening, hit the gourmet restaurants for French cuisine or try a dinner cruise along the Seine, and for a more laid-back time, celebrate in Montmartre. Search and compare cheap flights to Paris.
- Tokyo — In Tokyo, you can celebrate in two extremes. Rowdy folks can celebrate at the Universal Studios countdown event — one of the best attended, filled with live music, special attractions and celebrity appearances. On the other end of the spectrum, the Zojoji Temple countdown honours the New Year in a more reflective way, when 3,000 balloons are released with good wishes and prayers for the upcoming year. (Note about dinner: Most restaurants are closed on New Year’s Eve, but food stands are open for business.) Search and compare cheap flights to Tokyo.
- Cape Town — Forget winter. Cape Town celebrates New Year’s in the heart of its summer with surfing and suntans. Music and the waterfront seem to go hand in hand here. Hear live music at Kirstenbsch Gardens and the Rezonance New Year’s Eve Festival. The Victoria and Albert Waterfront are filled with energetic bars and street performers with Table Mountain as its backdrop for fireworks. Search and compare cheap flights to Cape Town.
Other international hotspots to ring in the New Year that make Cheapflights.ca’s Top 10 New Year’s Eve Destinations include: London, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Prague and Berlin. To find out about the big celebrations at all of these destinations visit www.cheapflights.ca/travel-tips/top-ten-new-years-eve-destinations/
About Cheapflights Media
Cheapflights Media is an international media network providing users with different ways to find low cost travel. Since 1996, Cheapflights Media has been helping consumers research, compare and save on domestic and international travel. Our flagship brand, Cheapflights, is one of the largest flight deals publishers, delivering over 4 million deals daily. With brand-name deals on airline tickets from more than 300 partners and 600 airlines and a team of travel experts hand picking the best offerings, Cheapflights offers visitors a mix of deals they can’t find anywhere else. zugu, the newest brand in the Cheapflights Media portfolio, is a powerful and simple travel search engine that makes it easy to compare and select the lowest available fares online. By organizing flight options by date, airline and time, zugu helps consumers find the best fares based on their travel terms. There are currently Cheapflights-branded sites for the U.K., U.S., Canada, Germany, Australia & New Zealand, France, Italy and Spain. zugu is available in the U.K., U.S. and Germany. For more information, visit www.cheapflights.ca.