New Menu Includes SIMPLE & FIT Items Under 600 Calories — Including All Kids Items — and Provides Tips to Meet Nutrition Needs
GLENDALE, CA–(Marketwire – October 11, 2010) – IHOP, one of America’s favorite restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner, today announced the launch of its new SIMPLE & FIT menu items under 600 calories as part of its new menu rollout. Integrated throughout the menu, the new SIMPLE & FIT items make it easier for guests to choose lower-calorie options that taste great and meet their cravings. In addition to delicious menu choices, the new menu includes SIMPLE & FIT tips to adjust favorite IHOP meals to guests’ nutrition needs.
With an increase in focus on nutritional data throughout the restaurant industry, IHOP provides resources in a simple format designed to provide guests with easy tips to make dining choices that meet their needs. All SIMPLE & FIT items are noted with a green icon, and tips and information are displayed in a green box throughout the menu. Detailed nutritional data on each IHOP menu item is also now available online at www.IHOP.com.
Parents will especially appreciate the revamped Just for Kids section for guests ages 12 and under. When dining-out, as many as 70 percent of moms recently surveyed are looking for healthful menu options for their kids.1 At IHOP, every kids’ menu item is now a SIMPLE & FIT under 600 calorie selection and all lunch and dinner items are served with fresh fruit instead of French fries. In addition, IHOP has partnered with the USDA’s Food Guide Pyramid to feature the well-known logo (www.mypyramid.gov) along with nutrition tips on Just for Kids placemats to encourage young guests to learn more about eating well, being active and living healthy.
“We’re excited to empower our guests who seek creative options and want to make more informed decisions at mealtime,” said Carolyn O’Keefe, IHOP’s senior vice president, marketing. “IHOP’s SIMPLE & FIT under 600 calorie selections offer simple nutrition suggestions throughout our new menu.”
Whether guests are looking for something sweet or savory for breakfast, lunch or dinner, IHOP offers more than 30 SIMPLE & FIT under 600 calorie selections, as well as a number of tips on how to enjoy lower calorie versions of IHOP classics. Some of the items and tips include:
- SIMPLE & FIT Whole Wheat French Toast Combo: Two slices of whole wheat French toast topped with fresh slices of banana. Served with scrambled egg substitute and two strips of turkey bacon. 490 calories.
- SIMPLE & FIT Seasonal Fresh Fruit Crepes: Two crepes topped with fresh fruit, low-fat strawberry yogurt and granola. 590 calories.
- SIMPLE & FIT Spinach, Mushroom & Tomato Omelette: Made with egg substitute and fresh spinach, mushrooms, onions and Swiss cheese and topped with diced tomatoes. Served with seasonal fresh fruit. 330 calories.
- SIMPLE & FIT Take Two Combos: Choose your favorite half sandwich (Turkey Sandwich or Double BLT Sandwich) and pair with seasonal fresh fruit. Half Turkey Sandwich combo is 370 calories; Half Double BLT Sandwich combo is 470 calories.
- SIMPLE & FIT Simply Chicken Sandwich: A tender, grilled chicken breast on a toasted Romano-Parmesan bun with lettuce and fresh tomato served with a side of fresh fruit. 470 calories.
- SIMPLE & FIT Fresh Fruit & Yogurt Bowl: A light and refreshing bowl of seasonal fresh fruit topped with low-fat strawberry yogurt and granola. 330 calories.
- SIMPLE & FIT Grilled Tilapia: Seasoned tilapia grilled to perfection then topped with sautéed mushrooms, onions, diced tomatoes, balsamic glaze and a lemon wedge. Served with steamed broccoli and a house salad with reduced-fat Italian dressing. 490 calories.
- All 14 Just for Kids Menu items are SIMPLE & FIT with under 600 calories, including the Create-A-Face Pancake, Rooty Jr.®, Funny Face®, Crispy Chicken Strips, Cheeseburger and more.
SIMPLE & FIT tips found throughout the menu include: holding the butter or whipped topping, using sugar-free syrup, requesting an egg substitute, substituting turkey bacon, using a sugar substitute in coffee and teas, asking for 2 percent milk in coffee instead of creamer and holding the cheese or requesting less. SIMPLE & FIT tips featured on the new menu for IHOP’s lunch and dinner foods include: asking for reduced-fat salad dressing, holding the croutons on salads, requesting dressings and sauces on the side, choosing steamed broccoli, holding the bread on dinner entrees, asking for a bun-less burger and choosing diet soft drinks.
1 Bohan’s WhyMomsRule.com Survey, June 17, 2010
For 52 years, the IHOP family restaurant chain has served its world famous pancakes and a wide variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner items that are loved by people of all ages. IHOP offers its guests an affordable, everyday dining experience with warm and friendly service. The first IHOP opened in Toluca Lake, Calif. in 1958, and as of June 30, 2010, there were 1,476 IHOPs in 50 states and the District of Columbia, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. IHOP restaurants are franchised and operated by Glendale, Calif.-based International House of Pancakes, LLC and its affiliates. International House of Pancakes, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of DineEquity, Inc. (