No Free Wi-Fi Hotspot? Find Me Another Place
SCOTTSDALE, AZ–(Marketwire – October 18, 2010) – Availability of free Wi-Fi does influence venue choice. According to In-Stat’s (www.in-stat.com) new Wi-Fi Hotspot research, nearly two-thirds of respondents indicated that free Wi-Fi influences their choice of venue. An additional 31% indicated that free access may influence their choice, and just 5% said that it would have no influence over venue choice.
“Our research shows that while revenue may not always be directly gleaned from the hotspot offering, free Wi-Fi has a significant value in bringing customers to a venue,” says Amy Cravens, Market Analyst. “It’s no wonder then that over 150 thousand café/retail venues have now deployed Wi-Fi hotspots, although not all of these are free. That’s in addition to the tens of thousands of travel-related installations (hotels, airports, in-flight) worldwide.”
Some of the research findings include:
- Worldwide annual hotspot connects, or sessions, will reach over 2 billion by the end of 2010 with annual hotspot connects anticipated to grow to over 11 billion by 2014.
- Asia/Pacific will have about one quarter of the worldwide hotspot venues over the forecast period.
- By 2012, handhelds are anticipated to account for half of hotspot connects.
- The total worldwide hotspot market size will swell to 319,200 venues by year-end.
Recent In-Stat research, Worldwide Wi-Fi Hotspot Usage Soars, but is Model Sustainable? (#IN1004769WS) examines the worldwide market for public Wi-Fi access in hotspots (airports, cafés/restaurants/bars, convention centers, hotels, retail, marinas, outdoor hospitality and public areas). Included in the research is:
- Worldwide market potential, usage, business models and competitive analysis for the hotspot market.
- Worldwide venue forecasts segmented by region and type of venue.
- Worldwide usage forecasts segmented by business versus consumer, by access device.
- Equipment forecasts include a Wi-Fi AP forecast.
- All forecasts provide aggregate and annual deployment numbers and are segmented by region and venue type.
For a free sample contact Elaine Potter, [email protected], (480) 483-4441.
In-Stat’s market intelligence combines technical, market and end-user research and database models to analyze the Mobile Internet and Digital Entertainment ecosystems. Our insights are derived from a deep understanding of technology impacts, nearly 30 years of history in research and consulting, and direct relationships with leading players in each of our core markets. In-Stat provides its research through reports, annual subscriptions, consulting and advisory services to inform critical decisions. Technology vendors, equipment manufacturers, service providers and media companies worldwide rely on In-Stat to support critical business, product and technology decisions.